In 1921, Graduate Women in Science was one of the first organizations dedicated to advancing the careers of women in science.
The National Capital Chapter carries on this legacy today by supporting the future generation of scientists.
The scholarship program seeks to increase knowledge in the sciences and to encourage and retain women in their pursuit of careers in science.
We offer a $500 scholarship to a female high school junior or senior (as of fall 2018).
DEADLINE TO APPLY: November 15th, 2018
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- Be a current female high school junior or senior (as of November of 2018)
- Be enrolled in a U.S Institution located in the DMV area
- Intend to pursue a career in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) field.
- Exhibit a strong record of leadership and academic achievement (minimum of 3.0 GPA)
Your application packet must include the following:
- Application form: gwis-ncc-scholarship-application-form-2018-2019
- Current resume
- Academic Transcript
- One letter of recommendation from a STEM instructor
- Responses to the 3 short answer essay questions listed below:
- Describe the events in your life thus far that have shaped and contributed to your interest in the STEM field. Please include any classes, internships, projects, key accomplishments and people that have influenced and motivated you on your journey (500 words).
- What are your future short and long-term career goals? How will obtaining this scholarship help you reach your goals? (300 words)
- Describe a defining moment in your life where you displayed leadership skills; explain what you did and what you learned from the experience (500 words)
Please submit all parts of the application as a single PDF document with the subject line Scholarship Application to: firstname.lastname@example.org